Last Thursday, Don shared a memory of his mother’s delicious Blackberry Roly Poly. As promised…here is the recipe.
- Pie crust – years ago this was prepared from scratch, these days you can pick one up in a Pillsbury can in the dairy section of your grocery.
- 2 cups of blackberries *
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out your pie crust until it is about 1/4 of an inch thick and a rectangular shape.
- Spread the berries over the crust.
- Sprinkle with sugar
- Roll dough into a log, wet the ends of the crust slightly and pinch to seal the top and ends.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for approximately 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Slice and serve warm, topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (or both!)
*Raspberries could be substituted if we couldn’t find enough blackberries and there was also another berry that grew wild all over the woods, a little smaller than a Blueberry and almost black, called a Huckleberry. We needed a lot but they were tasty.