Mmmmm…you had me at brownies but throw in the benefits and I’m totally sold! For those of you who may have been fans of the “funny” brownies back in college…that’s not what we’re talking about here! Sheeeesh!
No, what we are talking about are healthy benefits like fiber and protein. If you’re going to partake of the yummy goodness that is a brownie, you can at least now say that it is healthy for you too! (well, sorta ;))
Big thanks to one of our readers, Janet Hastings of Whitehall, for sending this recipe to us. She’ll be receiving her choice of a t-shirt or mug as a thank you from The Zone! Visit this blog entry to see how you too can get your own t-shirt or mug by sending us your favorite recipe!
Now go try this recipe!
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 box of brownie mix (The Betty Crocker brand with Hershey’s Syrup works really well)
- 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup of water
- Pour the can of black beans and 1/2 cup of water into a food processor (a blender will work if you don’t have a processor but may take longer).
- Puree until relatively smooth.
- Add puree to your dry brownie mix and stir until smooth. If you aren’t using the brand that adds the Hershey’s Syrup then you may need to add a tad more water so that they aren’t dry.
- Bake according to instructions on the box (usually 23 minutes or so at 350).
*The brownies will turn out more fudge-like than fluffy but they are delicious and I promise they won’t taste like beans!
Thanks again Janet!