Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
- 6 or 7 ripe plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)*
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- While the oven is heating, parboil your tomatoes for one minute in boiling water that has just been removed from the burner. Drain.
- Using a sharp small knife, remove the skins of the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes are peeled, cut them in halves or quarters and remove the stems and seeds. (plum tomatoes are recommended because the skins are much thicker and there are fewer seeds and less juice.) Finely chop the tomatoes.
- Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and vinegar in a bowl, then mix. Add the chopped basil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the baguette diagonally in 1/2 inch slices. Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush. Place on a cooking sheet, olive oil side down. For best results, toast them on the top rack of your oven,
- Toast for 5-6 minutes, until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
- Line bread on a serving tray, olive oil side up. You can serve the tomato mix on the side or place some topping on each slice of bread and serve (do this immediately before serving in order to avoid soggy bread!) *optional – sprinkle with a little shredded mozzarella cheese.
Do you have a favorite recipe you’d like to share ? E-mail it to email@example.com.