This recipe is a favorite in our home which thrills me to pieces because it is one of the few ways that both of my boys will eat their veggies. It comes from another blog that I frequent on a regular basis in search of delicious recipes – Comfy in the Kitchen.
When making this in our home, we always include sausage of some sort, sometimes it’s sweet italian and sometimes it’s gourmet pesto and parmesan sausage – both are fantastic options. If you prefer the vegetarian route, then leave out the sausage or replace with a meatless variety.
I also tend to switch out the veggies according to what I have in the garden or in the fridge. One of my favorite additions is a nice fresh pepper, diced (of any color). I have also used canned tomatoes in place of cherry tomatoes which was very good as well.
The bottom line is this is a very delicious dish, as is, but there is plenty of room to play with the ingredients and make it your own.
Bow Tie Pasta with Italian Sausage and Vegetables
- 5 Sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 16 oz box of farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 onion sliced into wedges
- 1 zucchini cut
- 15 cherry tomatoes halved
- salt and pepper as desired
- Place Italian sausage onto a skillet with approx 1 cup of water. Cook through on med-high heat.
- While sausage is cooking, start pasta.
- When sausage is done, remove and slice into coins. Keep remaining drippings from the sausage and add the olive oil and minced garlic to the skillet.
- Sauté the garlic on med-low for 2 mins, do not brown.
- Add sliced veggies and sauté for approx 5 mins.
- Mix the sliced sausage with veggies in the skillet.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to skillet and toss with all other ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with Parmesan cheese.
Jennifer Kline – wife, mother and Executive Editor of The Zone Magazine.
Do you have a favorite recipe you’d like to share ? E-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.